Last visit was: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 am
It is currently Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 am

All times are UTC

[ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Coast Live Oak (quercus agrifolia)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:10 pm 

The 2 pictures show the development of foliage, ramification, and canopy over a 2 year period. The left picture was taken August 2005. The right picture was taken August 2007.

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Coast Live Oak (quercus agrifolia)
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:00 pm 

Mike,
Not bad development after two years.
If the tree was my, I would do something about the dept on the left side and work on stronger and deeper foliage on the left side as well. At the moment, the right side is longer and deeper than the left. I think that the opposite
would make the tree more stabile.

Regards Marinko

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:53 pm 

Mike,

I know how much work it must have been to develop such full, dense canopy on a tree that grows with a lot of random new shoots. I'd be interested in seeing it from the other side, if you get a chance. I'd probably consider removing the small lower left branch, but I do like it as is.

I have not run into too many people with CLO bonsai. Mine's probably much younger than yours, about 15 years, and has this bulbous base. Do you know if that's typical?
Attachment:
oak0407.jpg

Your's seems to have developed it into a nice aged looking bark in that area.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:55 pm 

Joe Pelonio wrote:
Mike,

I know how much work it must have been to develop such full, dense canopy on a tree that grows with a lot of random new shoots. I'd be interested in seeing it from the other side, if you get a chance. I'd probably consider removing the small lower left branch, but I do like it as is.

I have not run into too many people with CLO bonsai. Mine's probably much younger than yours, about 15 years, and has this bulbous base. Do you know if that's typical?
Attachment:
oak0407.jpg

Your's seems to have developed it into a nice aged looking bark in that area.

Joe, that lower left branch has a story, and this is it. I think that many of us have feared that lime-sulfer applied to living parts might cause damage. Years ago, I cut that branch short and planned to use if as a jin branch. While I was applying lime-sulfer to the shari, I painted it on the stub branch,and figured that was that! Well, imagine my surprise when after a few months had passed, there was a new bud forming. I let it grow, and this is where it is. It's a living lesson. I think I need to leave it.
Regarding the base, this is fairly common among CLOs that I'm familiar with.

Mike

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 pm 

Mike,

Is there a remedy for this growth? or will it re-occur after ground layering a new nebari. I don't think we need a graphic description of this abnomality.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:53 pm 

Mike Page wrote:

Joe, that lower left branch has a story, and this is it. I think that many of us have feared that lime-sulfer applied to living parts might cause damage. Years ago, I cut that branch short and planned to use if as a jin branch. While I was applying lime-sulfer to the shari, I painted it on the stub branch,and figured that was that! Well, imagine my surprise when after a few months had passed, there was a new bud forming. I let it grow, and this is where it is. It's a living lesson. I think I need to leave it.
Mike

After that I can see that there's no way you can cut it off.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:04 am 

Rick Moquin wrote:
Mike,

Is there a remedy for this growth? or will it re-occur after ground layering a new nebari. I don't think we need a graphic description of this abnomality.

Rick, this is not an abnormality.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:27 am 

Ok!

Let me re-phrase. Will the tree outgrow this "phallic" display? for the lack of a better word.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:58 am 

As Freud would say, sometimes a bulbous base is just a bulbous base, let's not project more into it than is there.

Mike, have you more than one of this species and if so, have you tried inducing roots from the bulbous base, about half way up, or burying it half way under the soil.

Or is the feature so much a part of mature trees of this species in nature that it is better to leave it as a feature in bonsai?

Will

[ 9 posts ] 

Last visit was: Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 am
It is currently Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:51 am